I am honestly kind of mad at myself for not thinking of this post this sooner. WINE! We all love wine, and we all love cheap wine, that still tastes awesome. I’ve had some wines that were less expensive, but definitely left me with a major headache the next morning. I am in no way a wine expert. I just drink it, a lot :). My favorite wines are dry reds: Cabernet, Pinot Noir, etc. so my opinions are geared a bit more towards those. I’m listing my most favorite and inexpensive wines here, just for you, because I’m a good friend and I love you :).
- Winking Owl – If you don’t know this brand, you haven’t lived. I’m not exaggerating. This wine brand is from ALDI, and if you’ve been sleeping on ALDI, you better get your crap together. They have Cabernet, Merlot, Shiraz, a red blend, Chardonnay, Moscato, Pinot Grigio and a white blend. These bottles of wine are less than $3 each. I AM NOT KIDDING. Probably the best “cheap” wine I’ve ever had.
2. Dark Horse – This is another great and affordable wine brand that has a handful of different types of wine. My favorite is the Cabernet but if you like a sweeter wine they do have Rosé as well. These bottles run anywhere from $8.99 – $13.99 depending on where you purchase them. This is more widely available in case you don’t have an ALDI near by to get the winking owl. I’ve purchased this brand from Target, Meijer, Kroger, etc. You can even get Dark Horse on Amazon 🙂 !!
3. Apothic – Apothic Red is my favorite that this company makes but they have an Apothic Dark which has deeper notes of chocolate/coffee or Apothic white if you like a more fruity/light wine. These bottles are about the same in price as Dark Horse.
4. Trader Joe’s Charles Shaw – Also known as two buck chuck. Yes, this wine goes for $2.99. Definitely a plus, I will not lie. However, to me, I do not like the taste and it has left me with massive hangovers. I’ve used this wine if a recipe calls for a white or red for a sauce or marinade.
5. California Roots – This is the full line of $5 wine that Target just recently launched. I haven’t tried all of them (yet) and I’ve heard a mix of good and bad things about each type of wine. I’ve tried the Chardonnay and I thought it was decent for the price. If I had to compare it to something, I’d say it’s better than Two Buck Chucks but not as good as Winking Owl.
It’s always nice to splurge on a bottle of wine, especially if you’re bringing it to a dinner party or entertaining. These are just some good ways to enjoy a glass (or four) of wine and save some mula at the same time!